We are in search of a Risk Manager to join our team at Newton
Wellesley Hospital. The Clinical Risk Manager manages the operation
of the organization-wide Risk Management and Patient Safety
programs and provides guidance to clinical staff. The ideal
candidate develops and maintains systems within the organization to
detect, monitor, prevent, organize, measure, investigate, report
and manage patient adverse events, malpractice claims, SRS
(incident reports) and other indicators of potential patient harm.
NWH’s key aims in this area are to be on the leading edge of
improving health outcomes and service, increasing patient safety
and reducing error in health care processes.
The focus of this role promotes the development and
implementation of the NWH Risk Management Program including:
• Reviews all SRS (incident) reports and telephone reports
of incidents and adverse events. Initiates investigatory
• Provides advice, consultation and support to hospital and
professional staff on clinical, risk and ethical issues.
• Manages the initial intake processes of adverse hospital
and patient events and event reporting, ensuring timely analysis
• Manages investigations related to targeted incidents and
adverse events, including interviewing staff and reviewing medical
record for evaluation of clinical data, measurement of improvement
and/or regulatory liability reporting.
• Proactively evaluates areas of organizational risk based
on internal assessment and external benchmarking; and, implements
strategies and policies, which promote patient and staff
• Promotes the organization wide online incident reporting
process including, trending and reporting results, identification
of problem prone areas and the facilitation of prevention
• Directs the investigation of all potentially compensable
and preventable events
• Leads the review of serious occurrences requiring
Collaborative Case Reviews or Failure Mode & Effects Analysis.
• Meets regularly with Executive, Medical and Service Line
Leaders to provide detailed reports on all serious incidents,
claims and risk-related issues.
• Responds to sentinel events and other serious occurrences
and provide expert advice in the management and reporting of such
events to administrative and clinical leadership and staff.
• Conducts immediate/appropriate response to any serious
occurrence/complaint representing actual or potential patient,
visitor, and/or employee injury. Monitor and take subsequent
actions to assure learning, compliance and documentation.
• Analyzes all risk incident reports that identity risk
management and patient safety patterns and trends for
• Coordinates claims investigation, medical record requests
and legal defense processes.
• Serves as a liaison to external regulatory agencies for
purposes of appropriate adverse event reporting to Department of
Public Health, Board of Registration in Medicine, FDA, etc. and
coordinates surveys by Department of Public Health.
• Assists in the identification and development of
information related to equipment failures to ensure compliance with
the reporting requirements of the Safe Medical Devices Act. Submits
related reports via MedSun.
• Keeps up to date with new and revised state and federal
regulations and statutes, NWH Bylaws and regs, and Safety Alerts
related to hospital and patient care.
• Reviews and evaluates related policies and procedures and
• Actively participates in a variety of committees within
the hospital as assigned.
• Evaluates risk management and patient safety programs for
Bachelor’s degree in healthcare related field required. Ideal
candidate will have a Nursing, NP, PA, or clinical background
• Minimum of 5 years of experience in a healthcare clinical
• Experience in loss control and claims management
• CPHRM preferred
Knowledge and Skills
• Thorough understanding of QI processes, tools and
techniques, quality measurement and reporting, TJC standards, Board
of Registration in Medicine and Department of Public Health
regulations, Collaborative Case Reviews and preventive risk
• Facility with standard Microsoft Office or related
products required and experience in database management and systems
• Knowledge of RL Solutions or other incident reporting
product and data management system preferred
• Requires strong organizational skills, persistence,
creativity and strong communications, interpersonal and systems
• Confidentiality is imperative to the success of this
Newton-Wellesley Hospital will provide equal
employmentopportunities to all applicants and employees without
regard to race, color,religion, gender age, national origin,
disability, marital status, geneticinformation, veteran or active
military status, gender identity or expression,or sexual
Primary Location MA-Newton-NWH Main Campus
Work Locations NWH Main Campus
2014 Washington Street
Organization Newton-Wellesley Hospital(NWH)
Standard Hours 40
Shift Day Job
Employee Status Regular
Recruiting Department NWH Risk Management