ESY Teacher of the Visually Impaired (Full/Part Time)
Company: Newton Public Schools
Posted on: June 4, 2021
Department: Student Services Job Title: Teacher of the Visually
Impaired FLSA Status:
(Exempt/Non-exempt) Exempt Unit A Reports to: Assistant Director
of Student Services In compliance with state and federal laws,
newton public schools is committed to equity, anti-racism and a
nondiscrimination policy for students, employees and prospective
applicants. All educational and employment determinations are based
on an individual's qualifications and achievements without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, pregnancy,
gender identity, genetic information, national origin, ancestry,
homelessness, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any
other basis prohibited by state and/or federal statute.
This position of Teacher of the Visually Impaired is that of a
special educator trained and licensed by DESE to provide direct
instruction, accommodations, and modifications that provide access
to the general curriculum for children who are blind or visually
Teachers of the Visually Impaired also help facilitate
independence and teach expanded core curriculum areas specific to
students with visual impairments.
- Please kindly note: due to the uncertainty caused by COVID-19,
we are asking all summer staff to be flexible to in-person, virtual
or hybrid to teaching and learning to accommodate all students, and
to commit to the full duration of the summer program of which they
have been assigned.*
This position facilitates student independence within the school
environment through adaptations, accommodations, and vision
intervention (direct, consult).
- Master's Degree
- License with DESE in special education: vision impairment
- Minimum of 5-years' experience as a Teacher of Student with
Ability to handle multitude of varying and complex needs
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent collaboration skills
- Solid technical skills
- Demonstrated Organizational skills
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities (Not Limited To):
- Evaluate and determine the need for vision services by
performing functional vision and learning media assessments.
- Interpret evaluations to make recommendations for service type
and accommodations as needed.
- Evaluate areas in the expanded core curriculum that include
compensatory, self-determination, social interaction, career
education, assistive technology, recreation and leisure,
independent living and sensory efficiency skills.
- Provides consultation with the teachers, aides, team members.
In consultation, the teacher of the visually impaired and teacher
form a cooperative partnership and engage in a reciprocal problem
solving process. The goal of consultation is to enhance the
student's skills to improve academic performance.
- Uses direct and indirect services, the teacher of the visually
impaired collaborate with families, teachers and other team members
staff to help implement a child's special education program.
- Provides consultation to/collaboration with teachers regarding
specific students with visual impairments, best instructional
strategies and classroom accommodations as well as ensuring
materials are in the appropriate media.
- Suggests adaptations to environment an order to maximize
- Supports students in a accessing their school and
- Develops plans/ course of action to improve skill area.
- Determines ways to adapt skill in order to fit with current
level of functioning.
- Evaluates and addresses skills that limit the child's ability
to participate and succeed at school and community including
educational, and social skills.
- Provides direct or consultative services; modify or adapt
schools tools and materials in order for a student to access the
educational curriculum in a fix manner and as independent as
- Consistent and on-time attendance is required or supervision
and instruction of the students.
- Responsible for implementing "other job related duties" as
Work Environment & Physical Requirements:
- School setting
- Office setting
- Some lifting required up to 50 lbs.
- May be required to respond quickly to students, which may
- Some driving required
Date Updated: 4/7/2019
Keywords: Newton Public Schools, Newton , ESY Teacher of the Visually Impaired (Full/Part Time), Other , Newton, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!