ESY Special Education Teacher
Company: Newton Public Schools
Posted on: June 4, 2021
ESY-Special Education Teacher
Special Education Administrator
In compliance with state and federal laws, newton public schools
is committed to equity, anti-racism and a nondiscrimination
policy for students, employees and prospective applicants . All
educational and employment determinations are based on an
individual's qualifications and achievements without regard to
race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, pregnancy,
gender identity, genetic information, national origin, ancestry,
homelessness, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any
other basis prohibited by state and/or federal statute.
ESY - Special Education Teacher are special educators who work
collaboratively with all members of an IEP team to ensure a
students progress, growth and successful inclusion experiences.
- Please kindly note: due to the uncertainty caused by COVID-19,
we are asking all summer staff to be flexible to in-person, virtual
or hybrid to teaching and learning to accommodate all students, and
to commit to the full duration of the summer program of which they
have been assigned.*
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in special education required.
- Certified in either intensive or moderate special needs.
- Prior experience working with students with intensive special
- Ability to handle multitude of varying and complex issues.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities (Not Limited To):
- ESY- Special Education Teachers may provide direct and/or
consultation services dependent on student needs:
- Direct Services-
- Training assistants
- Crisis intervention (restraint trained as needed)
- Instructing students in functional curriculum
- Consultation Services
- Modifying curriculum
- Modeling of instructional strategies to general education
- Developing behavior intervention plans
- ESY- Special Education Teachers develop specialized educational
and behavioral programs to meet student's individual needs.
- ESY- Special Education Teachers assist or design programs that
support students with behavioral, academic and functional daily
- ESY- Special Education Teachers model instructional techniques
to teaching assistants so that lessons are consistently delivered
across all environments.
- ESY- Special Education Teachers collaborate with related
service personnel to create a student-centered approach for meeting
- ESY- Special Education Teachers complete required paperwork,
including the end of summer progress reports about maintenance of
skills aide/BT hiring paperwork and any incident reports.
- ESY- Special Education Teachers communicate directly with the
school year IEP team about student needs, services and ESY goals to
- ESY- Special Education Teachers interview and recommend for
hire the aide and behavior therapists for the programs and/or
- Consistent, reliable and punctual attendance is essential for
supervision and instruction of the students
- Responsible for implementing "other job related duties" as
Work Environment & Physical Requirements:
- Must be physically able to respond (e.g. push, pull, or carry
at least 60 lbs.) to students who are physically unsafe and use
physical restraints as part of a de-escalation process.
- Must be able to physically respond to students who have bolted
from the building.
- Must be able to physically maintain a safe learning
environment, including moving furniture in response to a crisis
- Regularly required to lift and/or move objects weighing up to
Keywords: Newton Public Schools, Newton , ESY Special Education Teacher, Other , Newton, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!