Strong Start-Classroom Aide
Company: Newton Public Schools
Posted on: June 4, 2021
Department: Strong Start Job Title: Classroom Aide FLSA
(Exempt/Non-exempt) Exempt Reports to: Strong Start Program
Leader In compliance with state and federal laws, newton public
schools is committed to equity, anti-racism and a nondiscrimination
policy for students, employees and prospective applicants. All
educational and employment determinations are based on an
individual's qualifications and achievements without regard to
race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, pregnancy,
gender identity, genetic information, national origin, ancestry,
homelessness, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any
other basis prohibited by state and/or federal statute.
The classroom aide supports the classroom teacher in all aspects
of the school day. The classroom aide provides a variety of
generalized support services to students and schools.
- Please kindly note: due to the uncertainty caused by COVID-19,
we are asking all summer staff to be flexible to in-person, virtual
or hybrid to teaching and learning to accommodate all students, and
to commit to the full duration of the summer program of which they
have been assigned.*
- Associate's degree or minimum of 60 college credit hours
(classes in education, special education, psychology or a related
field preferred). Successful completion of ParaPro Assessment may
be substituted for educational requirements.
- Written language, technology skill and interpersonal
communication skill to support communication among team members,
with community contacts, school staff and parents is required
- Bachelor's degree (preferably in education, special education,
psychology or related field)
- Experience working with children in a daycare setting or
children/young adults in a school setting or recreation
- Preference is given to current Newton Public School staff.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities (Not Limited To):
- Assist the classroom teacher in all aspects of the school
- Support instruction by working with students individually and
in small groups
- Prepare instructional materials
- Assist in classroom set up and clean up
- Manage individual and classroom behavior
- Supervise students at recess or other "duties"
- Support students with self-care skills (toileting, dressing,
etc.) as needed
- Consistent, reliable and punctual attendance is essential for
supervision and instruction of the students
- Responsible for implementing "other job related duties" as
Work Environment & Physical Requirements:
- Majority of work is performed in a school/classroom
environment. The noise level in the environment is usually
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
frequently required to walk, stand, sit, talk, and hear. The
employee is regularly required to bend, stoop, crouch and/or kneel.
The employee is occasionally required to lift and/or move objects
weighing up to 25 pounds.
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
Date Updated: 2/12/2019
Keywords: Newton Public Schools, Newton , Strong Start-Classroom Aide, Other , Newton, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!