School Guidance Counselor
Company: Newton Public Schools
Posted on: June 6, 2021
Department: Student Services Job Title: School Guidance
Counselor FLSA Status:
(Exempt/Non-exempt) Exempt; Unit A Reports to: Counseling
Department Chair In compliance with state and federal laws, newton
public schools is committed to equity, anti-racism and a
nondiscrimination policy for students, employees and prospective
applicants. All educational and employment determinations are based
on an individual's qualifications and achievements without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, pregnancy,
gender identity, genetic information, national origin, ancestry,
homelessness, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any
other basis prohibited by state and/or federal statute.
- The School Guidance Counselor is responsible for meeting the
developmental needs of students. The School Guidance Counselor
position supports students with many issues, such as
social/emotional, substance use/abuse, academic, and post-graduate
planning, through the use of counseling, consulting, coordinating,
- Master's Degree in school counseling
- Appropriate DESE license
- Ability to handle multitude of varying and complex issues
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to use technology effectively
- Ability to work autonomously and make independent
- Ability to organize tasks, set priorities and meet deadlines,
manage multiple tasks
- Recognize and understand students' individual interests that
may translate into a meaningful academic and post-secondary
- Good judgment and good problem-solving skills
- Good clinical skills to support substance use/abuse and
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities (Not Limited To):
- Provide individual and group counseling support to
- Support students with their academic, social/emotional,
substance use/abuse, and post-graduate planning needs.
- Work collaboratively with counseling colleagues, teachers,
deans, and other administrators.
- Collect, maintain, and present data when applicable.
- Attend and participate in parent night events as needed.
- Consult and collaborate with families and outside agencies to
support student needs.
- Facilitate meetings with relevant stakeholders regarding
- Participate in professional development to remain current with
school counseling practices
- Consistent and on-time attendance is required
- Responsible for implementing "other job related duties" as
Work Environment & Physical Requirements:
- Majority of work is performed in an office setting within the
school environment, which is primarily confidential.
- While performing the duties of this job, the counselor is
frequently required to walk, stand, sit, talk, and hear. The
counselor is occasionally required to lift and/or move objects
weighing up to 25 pounds. Must have sufficient mobility to navigate
within a large school building.
Keywords: Newton Public Schools, Newton , School Guidance Counselor, Other , Newton, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!