Medical Technologist - Chemistry - Days
Company: Partners Healthcare System
Posted on: June 7, 2021
Medical Technologist - Full Time - Days 7:00am - 3:30pm
Weekend Rotation - Every 3rd weekend.
Holiday Rotation - Every other Holiday.
Newton-Wellesley Hospital offers:
- An opportunity to work in a high-volume lab environment with
exceptional management and team culture!
- An opportunity to enjoy the benefits of a community hospital
while benefiting from a larger hospital system!
- A beautiful campus setting!
- Free Parking!
- Public Transportation - just a 5-minute walk!
The Medical Technologist/Technician performs testing as outlined
in this document in the department or departments to which they
have been assigned to at the time of hire, or as Laboratory
Management determines to be in the best interest of the laboratory
to meet patient care needs.
- Performs qualitative and quantitative tests using various lab
instruments and/or manual methods on blood, plasma, urine, CSF,
stool, and/or body fluids following standard operating
- Complies with all established standards and practices
pertaining to test performance, including, but not limited to,
laboratory procedures, hospital procedures, CAP guidelines, JCAHO
guidelines, and within the institution's policies regarding
- Performs quality control procedures as needed and established
by protocol. Analyzes quality control data, makes judgments on
observed results and takes appropriate action to ensure that
accuracy and precision are maintained.
- Identifies abnormal patient results; recognizes factors that
affect measurements/results, and takes appropriate action; seeks
assistance in resolution as needed.
- Performs and documents equipment maintenance, calibration,
quality control, and other trouble shooting procedures.
- Recognizes equipment malfunctions, documents problems as may be
required, performs trouble-shooting and repair in accordance with
established guidelines. Alerts supervisor/manager/designee as
- Communicates results to physicians or other authorized
healthcare providers as may be required and/or appropriate. Ensures
that there is proper documentation of calls.
- Monitors reagents and supplies; orders as needed, or
communicates need to appropriate person to maintain appropriate
inventory of necessary supplies.
- Performs hand-off communication in accord with applicable
laboratory or department policy/procedure.
- Documents errors using hospital Safety Reporting System;
informs supervisor/clinical manager/designee on process
- May participate in training/orientation of new
- May participate in peer interview process.
- Participates in the evaluation, validation, and/or
implementation of new methodologies.
- Supports and assists coworkers as needed to ensure the best
possible patient care; able to work independently while also
functioning as part of a team.
- Remains flexible to changes in job assignments or schedules;
requests assistance when needed occur to ensure minimal disruption
Current Analyzers/Information Systems:
- Chemistry - Roche for General Chemistries, Helena for
- Sunquest (Lab IS), Epic (Clinical)
- Instrument Middleware
Job Knowledge and Skills
- Familiar with typical laboratory operations including use of
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment, organize and
prioritize work as needed
- Capable of following written procedures, both technical and
- Can recognize problems with tests, analyzers, and samples that
could impact test results
- Communicates effectively with both internal and external
- Functions as a team player at all times
- Associate's degree in medical technology.
- Bachelor's degree in medical technology or biological sciences
from an accredited school
- Knowledge/skill in a specific/multiple laboratory area(s)
acquired through training or previous work experience of at least
one year (full-time) preferred.
- New graduates of medical technology programs with successful
completion of clinical internship
- Previous experience with laboratory information systems
preferred; familiarity with Windows software applications a
License, Certification, and/or Registrations
- Nationally recognized certification as a medical
technologist/technician preferred. Individuals who are eligible for
certification examination may qualify
- Certification in a specialty category may be acceptable in lieu
of medical technologist/technician certification
Keywords: Partners Healthcare System, Newton , Medical Technologist - Chemistry - Days, Other , Newton, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!