Company: Partners Healthcare System
Posted on: June 13, 2021
The Nursing Administrator is a professional nurse responsible
for providing administrative direction and leadership to nursing
staff. S/he is directly responsible to the Associate Chief
The role requires clinical management expertise and the ability
to coordinate inter and intra departmental activities.
Patient Care Organization
- Assists with directing the operations of the Nursing Department
on the off-shift.
- Collaborates with the off-shift nursing resources to ensure
quality patient care.
- Collaborates with other departments t ensure resource
availability for patient care needs on the off-shift, i.e. triaging
Administrator On-Call, BioMed, Occupational Health.
Quality of Care
- Serves as consultant and resource to staff and professional
colleagues regarding administrative issues.
- Participates in professional, institutional and community
- Works collaboratively with other departments to monitor overall
quality standards of the off-shift.
- Applies theoretical and experiential knowledge of nursing to
plan for the needs of patients in collaboration with Nursing
Practice and Professional Development.
- Implements, reviews and revises patient care policies and
nursing standards to ensure compliance of the nursing staff.
- Directs operations by providing guidance to the nursing,
medical, and support staff on the off-shift.
- Provides leadership oversight to Staffing Office Coordinators
who optimally allocate staffing resources taking into consideration
patient acuity, unit activity and nursing staff competency.
- Establishes and maintains effective professional relationships
with interdepartmental personnel, professional staff, and the
- Serves on Nursing Committees and Task Forces, Institution wide
- Provides feedback to Nurse Manager regarding the overall
functioning of unit.
- Facilitates allocation of central resources in collaboration
with Staffing Coordinators.
Facilitation of Patient Flow
- Collaborates with all patient care areas and physician staff to
ensure we have the right patient in the right location at all
- Monitors bed occupancy demands within the hospital throughout
the shift and collaborates with all disciplines to facilitate
- Coordinates and communicates with ancillary staff as necessary
to assure bed occupancy availability.
- Maintains flexibility with time management based on unforeseen
and predictable patient flow barriers.
- Serves as Patient Flow Facilitator as needed.
- Assists in the development of financial proposals to support
programs identified for the off-shift.
- Assists in the implementation and monitoring of the above
- Assists in determining cost effective strategies for patient
- Actively participates in the Departmental Financial plan:
Developing and managing the implementation and evaluation.
- Participates in the development of personnel policies for
- Assists in administration of personnel programs, including
communication and implementation of personnel policies.
- Performs administrative functions for the Nursing Department as
assigned; including hiring, evaluating, disciplining, and
- Contributes to and encourages educational and professional
development of staff nurses by assisting them to identify and meet
their learning needs.
- Assists in coordination of educational programs specific to
- Demonstrates awareness of contemporary nursing research and
works with nursing staff to develop skill in the interpretation,
application and utilization of research findings to the clinical
- Initiates and participates in nursing studies in the
- Graduate of an approved School of Nursing
- BSN and Masters' Degree in Nursing or related field strongly
- Five years of clinical nursing experience required
Licenses, Certifications, and/or Registrations
- Current licensure in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Current certification in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills in dealing with
patients and families, nursing staff, and other disciplines
- Must have sound knowledge of human resources management,
information management, and technology
- Must have demonstrated ability in management of diverse
activities associated with or pertaining to the Nursing
- Must possess solid clinical skills to provide direction,
information, and explanation to all levels of hospital management
- Must possess communication skills adequate to provide necessary
direction, information, and explanation to all levels of hospital
management and staff
Keywords: Partners Healthcare System, Newton , Nursing Administrator, Other , Newton, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!