Nursing Support Associate / Med/Surg Float 24/Hr evening
Company: Partners Healthcare System
Posted on: June 13, 2021
Functions as a team member on a patient care unit with overall
supervision by Nursing Director. In conjunction with other team
members provides a friendly, comfortable and supportive environment
for the patient during their hospital stay. Provides support
services to direct care givers and patients through assuring a
clean and ready environment, patient call light response, stocking
and environmental support. Duties directly related to patients are
provided with direction from RN.
Patient Support Activities:
- Answers patient call lights, assists patients as needed or
seeks out help if unable to meet patients' needs
- Assists in providing a safe and comfortable patient
- Assures unoccupied rooms have all necessary working equipment
and are ready for admission of patient
- Assists nursing staff in making occupied beds, and makes
unoccupied beds according to procedure as requested
- Runs errands as directed
- Passing water pitchers to all patients as directed.
- Assists patients with using equipment in patient's rooms (i.e.
TV, telephone, and bed) and replaces as needed.
- Assists patients to gather belongings at time of discharge or
- Provides general assistance to patient by: reading mail, making
phone calls, getting newspapers, etc.
- Utilizes principles of body mechanics to ensure safety of
patients and avoid self-injury
- Assists with lifting, moving, transferring and walking patients
- Assists in meeting nutritional needs of patients by serving and
collecting diet trays.
- Feeds stable patients under the direction of RN.
- Completes lunch rounds at every meal
- Assists in transfer of patients from unit to unit
- Alerts direct care providers when patient requires positioning
for meals. Assists as needed.
- Delivers sets up and collects dietary trays on assigned
patients (for example patients with specific needs).
- Demonstrates appropriate actions for his/ her role relevant to
fire and safety.
- Promotes customer service
- Reports patient complaints or problems to Nurse Director or
Patient Sitting Responsibility
- Performs as a sitter, monitoring patients on a one to one
watch, Q 15-minute checks
- Follows and signs the presented sitter care plan
- Always remains awake and alert
- Attention is focused on patient at all times
- Never leaves patients unattended
- Remains aware of any patient behavioral changes and reports to
- Maintains and monitors the Patient Care Unit supplies and
- Puts away supplies in the nurses station, treatment and utility
rooms and other unit specific areas as assigned.
- Distributes daily supplies for direct care providers according
to unit standard.
- Cleans patient equipment such as commodes, IV poles, infusion
pumps and CPM machines and places in clean storage.
- Tags broken or damaged equipment, takes out of service and
notifies appropriate department.
- Performs other supply related duties as assigned.
Safety, Infection Control:
- Follows infection control standards in daily activities.
- Follows hospital policy and procedures regarding hospital and
- Establishes and maintains positive interpersonal relationships
with patients, visitors, hospital personnel, and other customer
- Maintains patient confidentiality and privacy.
Human Resources Policies:
- Adheres to standards established for attendance and is
- Adheres to Patient Care Services dress code standard.
- Wears employee name badge/picture identification.
- Adheres to all Human Resources policies of Newton-Wellesley
- Communicates with customers and responds to their feedback by
direct action and/or communication with management staff.
- High School graduation/equivalence required
- No prior experience necessary; however, some regular work
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to concentrate and pay attention. Ability to read and
write English. Must see, hear and speak well. Must be able to deal
with different types of personalities and people with different
cultural backgrounds. Also must be able to work with people who are
different ages. Basic Computer Skills which may be obtained thru on
the job training.
Keywords: Partners Healthcare System, Newton , Nursing Support Associate / Med/Surg Float 24/Hr evening, Other , Newton, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!