ESY Physical Therapist (Full/Part Time)
Company: Newton Public Schools
Posted on: June 13, 2021
Department: Student Services Job Title: Physical Therapist FLSA
(Exempt/Non-exempt) Exempt Unit A Reports to: Assistant Director
of Student Services In compliance with state and federal laws,
newton public schools is committed to equity, anti-racism and a
nondiscrimination policy for students, employees and prospective
applicants. All educational and employment determinations are based
on an individual's qualifications and achievements without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, pregnancy,
gender identity, genetic information, national origin, ancestry,
homelessness, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any
other basis prohibited by state and/or federal statute.
This position provides school-based physical therapy as a
related service in the least restrictive environment for the
purpose of enhancing student ability to physically access their
learning environment and/or curriculum.
This position facilitates student functional mobility and
independence within the school environment through adaptations,
accommodations, and PT intervention (direct, consult).
- Please kindly note: due to the uncertainty caused by COVID-19,
we are asking all summer staff to be flexible to in-person, virtual
or hybrid to teaching and learning to accommodate all students, and
to commit to the full duration of the summer program of which they
have been assigned.*
.Minimum of 5-years' experience in PT; school setting
- Ability to handle multitude of varying and complex issues
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Solid technical skills
- Demonstrated Organizational skills
- Ability to work autonomously as a PT as part of a larger varied
- Demonstrates the ability to adapt quickly and easily to change,
the unexpected, and obstacles.
- Demonstrates the ability to be creative and flexible
- Demonstrates the ability to be both confident and
- Demonstrates strong conflict resolution and management
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities (Not Limited To):
- Evaluate and determine the need for PT services by identifying
the motor delays or underlying impairments that limit/prevent a
student from accessing the educational curriculum.
- Evaluate and determine needs related to functional
- Work through tiered instruction to provide support through
regular education. (RTI model)
- Provide consultation with the teachers, aides, and team
members. In consultation, the therapist and teacher form a
cooperative partnership and engage in a reciprocal problem solving
process. The goal of consultation is to support the student and the
team in enhancing student skills, in addressing obstacles that
might be limiting a student in the educational environment, and in
thereby improving academic performance.
- Use direct and indirect service and collaboration with
families, teachers, school staff, outside providers and teams, and
other team members to help design and implement a child's special
- Provide consultation to/collaboration with teachers regarding
specific special education students, best instructional strategies
and classroom accommodations.
- Recommends and implements adaptations to environment in order
to maximize student performance.
- Support students in accessing their school environment and
- Develop plans/ course of action to improve skill area.
- Determine ways to adapt the curriculum or school demands in
order to fit with current level of functioning.
.Evaluate and address motor skills that limit the student's
ability to participate and succeed at school. Factors limiting
education, socialization at school and independent functioning at
school should all be included.
.Provide direct or consultative services; modify or adapt school
environments, tools, or materials as needed in order to support a
student in accessing the educational curriculum and environment as
independently as possible.
- Provide service within the least restrictive environment.
- Adapt as needed to changes in student and/or team response,
available treatment locations, and educational activities.
- Consistent and on-time attendance is required for supervision
and instruction of the students.
- Responsible for implementing "other job-related duties" as
Work Environment & Physical Requirements:
- School setting
- Office setting
- Some lifting required up to 100lbs.
- May be required to respond quickly to students, which may
- Some driving required
Date Updated: 3/7/2019
Keywords: Newton Public Schools, Newton , ESY Physical Therapist (Full/Part Time), Other , Newton, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!