The Staff Assistant III is responsible for all of the duties of
a Staff Assistant II as well as the following:
- DP (professional only) and DX (consult) material send back - on
a weekly basis, organize and document within CoPath the send back
of all material received by MGPO Dermpath for DP and DX cases.
- Support TAT work flow and material receipt for DP and DX cases
- print daily report identifying case TAT, follow up on cases with
- Maintain registration and accession error reports and support
corrections within CoPath and Epic - print daily error report,
identify issues and update or correct information within Epic
- Maintain statistics for QC process - download CoPath reports on
a weekly or monthly basis for maintaining key practice
- Work-Around CoPath daily entries - data support for client
specified work flows.
- Log and fulfill outside data and material requests - log
requests, print physician letter and obtain slides and document
- Request courier pick-up for material transported to and from
MGH or other clients. Verify courier manifest daily and assist in
- Daily telephone coverage and support invoice inquiry.
The Staff Assistant II and Staff Assistant III provide
transcription; registration and accessioning of D, DX and DP cases;
registration of all cases; proof reading and data management. These
positions work closely with the Medical Director and physician(s) -
typing the final diagnosis and comment, entering ICD-9 and CPT
codes, sending cases to the pathologists' queue and pursuing
physician ordered tests for DP and DX cases. All non-technical
(non-tissue) related cases are registered and accessioned and
organized. The Staff Assistant II and Staff Assistant III are also
responsible for the packaging and tracking patient material back to
All paper work is reviewed by the Staff Assistant II and III as
a critical QC step before cases reach the physician for diagnosis.
This QC step helps limit patient demographic and insurance
This process varies by type of specimen received (slides,
blocks, tissue) and includes the creation and printing of bar code
labels for slide and block tracking.
Accessioning includes the careful evaluation of hand-written
requisition slips and close attention to detail. All material must
be proof-read (self-audit) to verify accuracy and quality control
responsibilities include the proofing of registration and accession
- DP and DX: Registering, insurance verification, and
accessioning. Using EPIC entering patient demographic and insurance
information. Registration includes the accurate input of patient
demographic and insurance information. Printing labels for material
tracking. Gross description provided is copied into CoPath.
- D: Using EPIC, entering patient demographic and insurance
- Receiving, documenting, and Sending back slides and blocks
associated with DP and DX cases.
- Managing picture documentation of all received material.
- Assembling and tracking material to assist in physician
workflow of DP and DX cases. The Staff Assistant III will assist MD
in directing only completed cases for diagnosis and following up on
cases to support TAT expectations. All material must be stored
safely and organized until full case is ready for physician
diagnosis. Daily tracking and communication is essential to meet
- Filing slides.
- Filing requisitions and draft reports.
- Transcribing final diagnosis and comment.
- Proofreading material to verify accuracy and identify
typographical errors using knowledge of medical terminology and
refers to medical dictionaries or other references as needed.
- Faxing and tracking orders of additional tests/levels from
clients for DP and DX cases whereby additional tests are not
performed on site.
- Monitoring SoftScript dictation queue.
Proof Reading/QC/Updating Systems
Performing practice wide proofreading of registration and gross
description of D, DP, and DX cases. In addition to a self-audit,
the MGPO Dermatopathology has a formal QC process whereby all
paperwork is reviewed for final QC prior to physician review.
- QC all Draft Reports identifying/correcting patient
demographic, insurance, date of service, and gross description site
- Updating Registration and CoPath data via EPIC and CoPath data
- Patient Index Liaison - reviewing registration data and
obtaining Patient Index approval for all duplicate medical record
registrations. All duplicate medical record requests are channeled
through this position.
- Duplicate MRN Merging - working with IT Systems Analyst in
merging CoPath and EPIC records as determined by Patient Index.
Only IT Systems Analyst and Staff Assistant III have the authority
to merge reports to meet Patient Index requests.
- Following- up on all registration/accession cases set aside
after 4:00 pm to be pursued via physician office or insurance
company assistance. Adhering to SOPs regarding specimen or case
rejection, and pursuing incomplete demographic and insurance
- Answering telephone and transferring calls as needed.
- Printing, packaging and documenting reports for daily courier
- Tracking incoming Fed Ex packages.
- Assisting in client invoice inquiries.
- Work Flow Evaluation - ongoing audit of existing work flow and
providing recommendations to support material tracking and process
- May provide other clerical duties as time permits.
High School Diploma or Equivalent
3-5 years transcription experience
Knowledge of Medical Terminology
Absolute integrity and confidentiality with handling of patients
Attention to detail
Precision in performing clerical tasks
Effective interpersonal and communication skills
Experience using CoPath - preferred
Experience using EPIC - preferred
Must be able to read and write English
Ability to type 50-60 words per minute
Ability to multi-task and work accurately under stress of
Works well in a team environment
Ability to problem solve